Congratulations on deciding to go vegan! It's one of the most life-changing decisions you can ever make.
I know that going vegan can seem challenging at first. From learning what to eat, how to get all the nutrients you need, how to make it affordable and delicious, how to plan your meals, how to eat out and socialize, and so much more -- it can all feel overwhelming. But don't worry, I've been there. And for the past 30 years, I've been teaching folks just like you everything you need to know to go vegan with ease and confidence. So, you can get healthy, feel great, and live your life to the fullest. It's your time. Let's do this together!
I'm so glad you're here!
It was 1986 and I was a sophomore at Amherst College. Our Black Student Union brought Dick Gregory -- the global human rights activist and Civil Rights Movement icon -- to campus to talk about the state of black America. Instead, he decided to talk about the plate of black America, and the political, economic, and social reasons that most folks ate so unhealthfully. I was one of them.
During his talk, Gregory traced the path of a hamburger from a cow on a factory farm, through the slaughterhouse, to a fast food restaurant, to a clogged artery, to a heart attack. His talk rocked my world. Before then, I was completely uninterested in healthy food and had gained 25 pounds during my first year.
After Gregory's lecture, I immediately went vegetarian -- and lasted for about a week. For the next few months, I read everything I could about vegetarianism (this was, of course, years before the Internet) and my mother and one of my sisters read them, too. We all went vegetarian together, then vegan about a year later.
It's been an incredible 33 years since then. I've gone on to become a vegan trailblazer (check out some of my proudest accolades below) and I've spent the last 30 years teaching people how to go vegan for life and love it. I know if I could do it, you can do it, too. And it's my mission to help you get there. Let's do this together!
• Created 10,000 Black Vegan Women (10KBVW) movement and helped nearly 12,000 black women go vegan in 2020
• 10KBVW movement inspired Mercy for Animals to create a grant program for black vegan activists and received the inaugural grant, 2020
• Featured in PBS Women Thought Leaders Series on "To The Contrary," 2019
• Subject of Mercy for Animals documentary about 30-year vegan activism, 2019
• Received Distinguished Alumni Award from Sidwell Friends School, 2018
• Received Compassionate Vegan Living Award from Farm Sanctuary, 2018
• Received U.S. Animal Rights Hall of Fame Award, 2018
• Received Vegan Soul Superstar Award from Vegan Soulfest, 2018
• Ageless Vegan received starred review by Library Journal, which stated the book "raised the standard of plant-based cuisine," and was twice the number one best-seller in vegan cookbooks on Amazon, 2018 and 2020
• By Any Greens Necessary cited by The New York Times as a key reason for the popular rise of veganism among African Americans during the past decade, 2017
• Featured in The Invisible Vegan documentary, 2017
• Featured on the cover of Barefoot Vegan magazine, 2015
• Named a national food hero changing the way America eats for the better by Vegetarian Times, 2012
• Received Award of Excellence for directing the first federally funded vegan nutrition program in the U.S., the VSDC Eat Smart Program, 2009
• Co-founded the Black Vegetarian Society of New York, 2002
• Co-created one of the earliest vegan websites, which was also the first vegan website by and for African Americans, blackvegetarians.com, 1997
• Co-founded an animal rights organization for people of color, Justice for All Species, 2000
• While in college, co-founded We Feed Our People, a 32-year nonprofit that organizes the now largest Martin Luther King, Jr Holiday Day of Service event in Washington, DC, providing food and services to unhoused residents, 1988-present
+ A 2-Day Meal Plan for 6 Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 days)
+ A done-for-you grocery shopping list
+ 7 healthy and delicious vegan recipes, plus a bonus dessert recipe
+ Time-saving meal prep tips
+ You'll be automatically signed up for the next 21-Day Vegan Fresh Start. (Click here to learn more.)
Sign up for expert tips to live a
healthy vegan life you love!