Congratulations on deciding to go vegan! It's one of the most life-changing decisions you can ever make.
I know that going vegan can seem challenging at first. From learning what to eat, how to get all the nutrients you need, how to make it affordable and delicious, how to plan your meals, how to eat out and socialize, and so much more -- it can all feel overwhelming. But don't worry, I've been there. And for the past 30 years, I've been teaching folks just like you everything you need to know to go vegan with ease and confidence. So, you can get healthy, feel great, and live your life to the fullest. It's your time. Let's do this together!
I'm so glad you're here!
It was 1986 and I was a sophomore at Amherst College. Our Black Student Union brought Dick Gregory -- the global human rights activist and Civil Rights Movement icon -- to campus to talk about the state of black America. Instead, he decided to talk about the plate of black America, and the political, economic, and social reasons that most folks ate so unhealthfully. I was one of them.
During his talk, Gregory traced the path of a hamburger from a cow on a factory farm, through the slaughterhouse, to a fast food restaurant, to a clogged artery, to a heart attack. His talk rocked my world. Before then, I was completely uninterested in healthy food and had gained 25 pounds during my first year.
After Gregory's lecture, I immediately went vegetarian -- and lasted for about a week. For the next few months, I read everything I could about vegetarianism (this was, of course, years before the Internet) and my mother and one of my sisters read them, too. We all went vegetarian together, then vegan about a year later.
It's been an incredible 33 years since then. I've gone on to become a vegan trailblazer (check out some of my proudest accolades below) and to spend the last three decades teaching people how to go vegan for life and love it. So I know if I could do it, you can do it, too. And it's my mission to help you get there. Let's do this together!
• Co-created the first-of-its-kind African American Vegan Starter Guide, with nearly 500,000 free copies ordered and downloaded, 2016
• Named a national food hero changing the way America eats for the better by Vegetarian Times, 2012
• Received Award of Excellence for directing the first federally funded vegan nutrition program in the U.S., the VSDC Eat Smart Program, 2009
• Co-founded the Black Vegetarian Society of New York, 2002
• Co-created one of the earliest vegan websites, BlackVegetarians.com, which was also the first vegan website by and for African Americans, 1997
• Co-founded an animal rights organization for people of color, Justice for All Species, 2000
• While in college, co-founded We Feed Our People, a 32-year nonprofit that organizes the now largest Martin Luther King, Jr Holiday Day of Service event in Washington, DC, providing food and services to residents experiencing homelessness, 1988-present
• Featured in PBS Women Thought Leaders Series on "To The Contrary," 2019
• Featured in Mercy for Animals mini-documentary about my 30-year vegan journey, 2019
• Received Compassionate Vegan Living Award from Farm Sanctuary, 2018
• Received U.S. Animal Rights Hall of Fame Award from Animal Rights National Conference, 2018
• Received Distinguished Alumni Award from Sidwell Friends School, 2018
• Received Vegan Soul Superstar Award from Vegan Soulfest, 2018
• Ageless Vegan selected for the bookstore of the Smithsonian's new National Museum of African American History and Culture, 2018
• By Any Greens Necessary cited by The New York Times as a key reason for the popular rise of veganism among African Americans during the past decade, 2017
• Featured expert in The Invisible Vegan documentary about African American veganism, 2017
+ A 2-Day Meal Plan for 6 Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 days)
+ A done-for-you grocery shopping list
+ 7 healthy and delicious vegan recipes, plus a bonus dessert recipe
+ Time-saving meal prep tips
+ You'll be automatically signed up for the 10,000 Black Vegan Women Movement. (Click here to learn more.)
Sign up for expert tips to live a
healthy vegan life you love!